Armenian Young Women's Association (AYWA) NGO (www.aywa.am) was founded in March 2004.
The overall goal of AYWA is to promote development of Armenia through increasing women's role in the social, political, economic, educational, cultural, business and other fields in Armenia.
AYWA's objectives are: develop and promote women's entrepreneurship and self-employment; encourage creation of job places for women; develop women's professional skills and working capacity; raise awareness of women about their rights and responsibilities; promote women's active participation in decision-making; promote women's participation in national and local government levels; support in the maintenance and strengthening of national and global values; promote intercultural dialogue and communication; establish communication platforms; establish/widen women's formal groups links; enhance the capacity of women's formal and non-formal groups; provide targeted informational support to women's formal and non-formal groups.
AYWA implements projects throughout Armenia. AYWA's primary beneficiaries are girls, women and youth above 13. Since its foundation AYWA has implemented over 100 projects with more than 30,000 beneficiaries participation. These projects are particularly aimed at developing the Armenian communities, ensuring the economic sustainability of families, promoting women's economic participation, leadership development, women's involvement in the community processes, protection of women's health, enhancing the level of women's knowledge and awareness as responsible citizens, dissemination of Armenian culture and traditions, promoting women and social entrepreneurship development.
In certain projects AYWA also ensures wider participation of the population thus raising the public awareness on women's issues and building a healthy atmosphere in the society, encouraging and spreading tolerance and solidarity on all sectors of society.
AYWA strategic directions are:
- Women's employment and self-employment;
- Public Leadership;
- Professional communities / networks.
AYWA has founded and is coordinating:
- Women Entrepreneurs' Network of Armenia which unifies more than 300 women entrepreneurs in Armenia. AYWA is a full member of FCEM (World Association of Women Entrepreneurs).
- "Girls State" movement which unifies around 2,500 girls of age 13-22 living in the different regions of Armenia.
AYWA has created:
- Women's Support Centers' Network (there are centers operating in Yerevan and Lori Region). A large number of women and youth benefit from the various services provided by the Women's Support Centers.
- Youth Resource Centers (in 10 rural communities of Vayots Dzor Region): the goal is to support the organization of the daily life of rural women and youth and their involvement in the community decision-making process.